Not sure if it’s time for a new roof? If you aren’t ready to call a roofer, check for some of these tell tale signs to determine if it’s time to replace your roof.
1. Roofs Age: The typical asphalt roof has a lifespan of 20-25 years. If your roof has exceeded the 20 year mark and you’re suspecting something may be wrong, then you should certainly try and get your roof checked out.
2. Shingles Curling & Buckling: The shingles on your asphalt roof should look similar to the way that they do when your roof is first installed. If they start to buckle or curl, that is a sign that you need a new roof.
3. Missing Shingles: A missing shingle here or there isn’t the end of the world. But, if shingles are falling off far too frequently than this can be a cause for concern. Your home will start to look like a checkerboard because of the disparity in new and old shingles.
4. Granules in the Gutters: Asphalt shingles are made up of smaller granule pieces. When your shingles start to deteriorate, the granules will fall off and then often end up in your gutters. Next time you are cleaning out your gutters make sure that they aren’t filled up with these granules.
5. You Can See Daylight In Your Attic: This may be one of the easiest ways to realize that something is wrong. If you go up in your attic, make sure that sunlight isn’t peeping in through the roof boards. If you can see daylight, that means you have an open invitation to moisture, and critters.
If you think you’re in need of a new roof or are unsure still and live in the nearby Greater Portland Maine area, please feel free to reach out to Oceanside Exteriors. Our team of skilled roofing contractors are here to help.